The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is an all India entrance examination conducted by 11 National Law Universities for admissions to their under-graduate and post graduate degree programmes (LL.B & LL.M). The 11 participating NLUs in the order of their establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU).
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS).
- National Law University, Jodhpur(NLU).
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU).
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU).
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU).
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL).
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU).
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS).
CLAT was conceptualized and implemented pursuant to a case filed at the Supreme Court of India highlighting the hardships of students who would have to appear for several separate entrance examinations. Prior to the case being decided, the Ministry of Human Resource Development brokered a settlement between the various law schools to conduct a common, all India entrance examination which was labeled as CLAT.