Arundhati Scheme: Assam Govt to gift 10 gm of gold to every bride
Arundhati Scheme: The Assam government announced that it will offer 10 grams of gold as a gift to every adult bride who has completed at least 10th standard and has registered her marriage. State Finance Minister Himant Biswa Sarma said that there are some other conditions to get the benefit of 'Arundhati Swarna Yojana'.
The scheme will cost about Rs 800 crore annually on the government exchequer. The scheme will start on January 1, 2020. The state Finance Minister informed media that we will give each bride 10 grams of gold during her marriage if the marriage is registered. Our focus is not to collect votes by giving gold, but to register marriages.
About Arundhati Scheme
• Assam has about three lakh marriages every year but only 50,000-60,000 are registered.
• The annual income of the bride's family must be less than five lakh rupees to avail the scheme.
• Minimum age should be 18 years and 21 years for the bride and bridegroom respectively.
• The Assam state government will not give the gold directly but Rs. 30,000 to purchase 10 gms of gold.
• The family has to register their marriage under the Special Marriage (Assam) Rules, 1954.
• It was also mentioned in the scheme that, minimum education should be 10th standard. However, minimum educational qualification criteria have been relaxed for the tribes and workers of tea gardens.
• The eligible bride and bridegroom must apply for the scheme before the date of their wedding.